Leading timber door solutions and staircase manufacturer Stairways Midlands have launched PinPoint, a pioneering new way of ensuring their fire doors are installed in accordance with certification and maintained correctly thereafter.
Adopting Near Field Communication (NFC) technology and linking into the national fire door database through Door Data Systems, PinPoint is a major step forward for the company, which has bases in Southam, Walsall and Welshpool supplying a national distribution network, and demonstrates their support for the requirements of ‘Building a Safer Future’ and the recently introduced Fire Safety Act.
A small plastic pin is installed during production. It looks to the end user just like a small nail, but can be scanned with an app to reveal data about the product, like certification, installation instructions, manufacturer schedules and component details.
Stairways Midlands is now offering this innovation on all fire doors from its wide range to help customers and building owners manage responsibilities and compliance.
Karen Wood, Joint Managing Director at Stairways Midlands, said: “This is a really important step forward for safety, embracing technology to achieve compliance whilst helping improve traceability and door maintenance throughout its life.
“PinPoint provides a cost-effective, easy and fully transferrable digital passport. It is designed to meet head-on legislative reform and provide a solution that really delivers.”
When a door with PinPoint is delivered, the door’s digital passport will already have been created by Stairways Midlands during the manufacturing process. The installer team, upon commencing, simply scans PinPoint from a mobile device into the secure app. This then requires a 10-point check to be carried out during install, requesting photographs to be taken at pivotal points which are then saved to the app, providing valuable reference at a later date for the installation contractor and duty holders.
Using PinPoint also helps third-party accredited inspections by providing consolidation of record keeping, which can be exported to support invoicing.
Other features and benefits include:
- A national fire door compliance software application bringing together all elements involved in the fire door lifecycle
- Installed during the door set manufacturing processes, starting the ‘Golden Thread’ process.
- Full management systems for installation contractors
- Easy to manage maintenance and repairs for facility managers, building owners ensuring a doors integrity is maintained at all times.
- Traceable and accessible at every stage of the door’s lifecycle
- Identification of door set from a single scan
- Sharing critical information across all parties
- Fast and efficient solution to fulfilling duties under the Regulatory Reform Order 2005, the Fire Safety Act and Building a Safer Future.